Updates, suckas!

Monday, August 21, 2006

No direction home

In lieu of actual substantive content, I find that a good cheat for updating my blog is to simply to link to other things of interest. Hopefully I'll be having more things worth posting up shortly, but this week is hectic for me. My housing runs out in less than a week, and I am facing the prospect of homelessness in the near future. In addition, I am still unemployed, severely restricting my housing options in a city where a reasonably-priced single room flat near the city centre is anything under $300 a week. On top of this, I haven't been back to the US since Christmas, and with my Dad being ill, I'd like the chance to visit. My solution, albeit a temporary one, is to roll back to the US for at least a few weeks in mid-September. This stay will give me a chance to catch up with everyone and work on my PhD applications for next year, as well as continue to apply for jobs online with an eye towards returning to London sometimes this fall. So keep your eyes open for me, everyone, since you never know when I'll show up in your borough.

Anyway, yeah, this was meant to be a mix tape to follow up my previous one, and isntead of being 1980's focused, this one has a more female flavour to it. Enjoy.

1) Living Proof (live)--Cat Power
Okay, so this does feature some of the worst dancing in history, but it is still a great version of a great song.

You're supposed to have the answer
You're supposed to have living proof
Well I am your answer I am living


2) This is Love--PJ Harvey

Pure rock and roll + girls with guitars= teh hotness!!1!1!!!1

3) Wake me up--Girls Aloud

We have hots girls lipsynching the words "you treat me rough to show that you care and I just can't refuse baby" while gyrating on motorcycles. Therefore it is simply impossible to dislike this video.

4) Rockit--Herbie Hancock

A classic. One of the earliest electronic songs to hit in America, following in the steps of German acts like Kraftwerk.

5) Galang--M.I.A.

A British Asian rapper who is the daugher of a Tamil Tiger, if I recall correctly, and a glorious mish-mash of politics, beats, and early 1990's fashion.

6) Start Wearing Purple--Gogol Bordello

Often cited as the best live act going today, I've missed out on them twice in London so far, since tickets sold out too quickly for me. Anyone out there seen them in person?

7) Where the Wild Roses Grow--Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue

Blood red roses and death. Who says romance is dead?

8) Random--Lady Sovereign

Brit-pop rap from the self-proclaimed "biggest midget in the game."

9) Do you sleep--Lisa Loeb

Naughty librarian glasses never, ever get old, even if the girls wearing them do.

10) Cross Bones Style--Cat Power

Another one from Chan Marshall, this time with bright fingernails.

11) Push the Button--Sugababes

Three hot girls, nuff said.

12) Donut Song--Tori Amos

Haunting song from the ethereal Tori Amos.

13) 9 to 5--Lady Sovereign

14) Walkin After Midnight--Patsy Cline

Classic and classy heartbreak from a tragic figure.

15) Henry Lee--PJ Harvey and Nick Cave

PJ Harvey looks amazing when she sings directly into the camera. Shudder.

16) Why--Annie Lennox

This is a question I ask myself everyday.

17) Waiting for the Night--Depeche Mode

And finally, you can't have a mix tape without some Depeche Mode on there somewhere.

1 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you will getting back for a visit! If you make it this far west let me know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home