Updates, suckas!

Monday, February 12, 2007

I wore my sneakers, for sneaking

So I finally managed to do the illicit movie double-header at the theatres, and it was only a cruel twist of fate that prevented me from seeing the triple bill. The problem was, essentially, that one of the movies I wanted to see was in another wing of the multiplex I went to, and would thus require me to walk near the ticket taker, who could theoretically cause the jig to be, as they say, "up". So instead I had to satisfy myself with the double feature of "Children of Men" and "Notes on a Scandal". The former was amazing, and the latter was fairly good, so if you get a chance to see either, do so.

As I exited the theatre, though, I noticed that there was a man in a yellow "Security" jacket just outside. Was he waiting for me? I pulled my hood lower over my face and made a quick left turn away from him just to be safe. For now I am still one step ahead of the Johnny Law. And because of my good fortune last time, I think I'll do another double header soon, since there are still some flicks I need to catch.

Incidentally, though, both movies took place in London, and after spending four hours being immersed in British film, I honestly had this bizarre feeling of dislocation in my gut when I left. Using the men's room, I was shocked to hear an American accent, and it took me a moment to realize I wasn't in London anymore, but in Portland.

Has this every happened to anyone else? Have you ever so immersed in multi-media that it affects your daily life for a few minutes after you are done? I can imagine someone playing some video games and wanting to swing some swords afterwards. Another recent example was after I saw Batman Begins during a late showing in downtown Portland, and I badly wanted to fight crime after I left that film, so much so that I actually slowed down because I saw two men walking towards a woman and thought they were about to mug her. But, unlike Bruce Wayne who dedicated years of his free time to perfecting his mind and body in order to fight crime, I couldn't be arsed to put in more than about ten good minutes in my crime fighting career. Once I saw that the men were just walking down the side walk, and were not in fact about to commit a crime, I jettisoned my crime fighting ego for good.

What I need, I've come to realize, is super powers that originate from some mystical or alien power. The Green Lantern, for instance, gets his super rank from an alien ring that manifests his willpower, while Superman gets his strength from Earth's yellow sun interacting with his Kryptonian physiology. That's what I need. I am far, far too lazy to put any effort into being a crime fighter; but if somebody gave me a magic ring, or the Flash's speed force, I would pitch in for the battle for good. Any takers?

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I can’t say that I had a similar experience due to a multi-media event. But every time I return to the states, there is a moment in the airport where I get that same feeling you described. At first I am confused, which is also probably the affects of being in a non English speaking country for months at a time and that I am exhausted from traveling. But then I realize where I am. I think it’s a creepy feeling.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger brian said...

One night, after she broke up with me, I went to this girl, Diane's house with my boombox, and held it over my head playing "In Your Eyes". Peter Gabriel, he makes the women melt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home